One of East Yorkshire's finest Norman churches was largely built c. 1140, originally with a nave and apsed chancel. The west tower is later medieval. Much rebuilding took place in the 19th century, but the north side of the nave is largely unrestored and the original flat buttresses, corbels, door and windows survive. One window on the south side has capitals with carved decoration thought to reflect the influence of the Scandinavian Urnes style. The south door is particularly fine: the arch is decorated with zig-zag and beak heads, while on the hood mould are panels bearing beasts and figures. The chancel arch is of three orders decorated with zig-zag. The font is striking, if somewhat crude, and decorated with a range of figures and other motifs.
Pevsner, D. and Neave, D., 1995. The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding (London, Penguin), 582-4