Standing between the church and the great 17th century house, now known as Burton Agnes Hall, stands the Norman manor house. It was built by Roger de Stutville in 1170 - 80 and, although now largely encased in brick work of the 18th century, there is original stonework in the north and west walls. On the north side also there is a Norman chimney breast and blocked first floor doorway. At ground floor level is a vaulted undercroft of two aisles and four bays. The vault ribs, of local chalk, rest on sturdy circular section piers bearing well-formed waterleaf capitals. In the north-west corner of the building is an original spiral staircase.
Pevsner, N and Neave, D., 1995. The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding (London, Penguin, 2nd ed.), 366