Liste des sites du Cinglais cliquez ici pour consulter l'album photographique Tournebu
(Canton of Thury-Harcourt, Calvados)

Keep

   The cylindrical dungeon dates from the 13th century. One of the characteristics of the construction is the bonding of the walls. Runs of freestone assembled in a regular fashion alternate with an irregular bonding of rubble stone. There are still visible marks on the freestone which enabled the assembly of the walls in a predetermined order. The keep underwent additions at the end of the 16th century and at the beginning of the 17th century, especially a square platform, each corner of which is reinforced by a bastion.

Bibliography

- Caumont, Arcisse (de). - Statistique monumentale du Calvados, Hardel, Caen, 1859, T. IV, p. 842 847
- L’Hermitte, J. " Le donjon de Tournebu ", dans Art de Basse-Normandie, n 5, Printemps 1957, p. 28-29