Quadrilingual inscription on marble erected over the tomb of Anne, mother of the cleric Grisandus (Chrysanthos in Greek), in the church of San Michele de Indulciis at Palermo. In the middle of the plaque is a circle decorated with a cross and in the corners, the abbreviations "Jesus Christ Victor". Linked around this cross are four registers containing a single text written in four languages: Judaeo-Arabic, Arabic, Latin and Greek. The Latin text states that "+ on 20 August + died Anne, mother of Grisandus; she was buried in the church of St Mary in the year 1148, … and was brought to this chapel that her son had built for the Lord and for her in 1149 …"
Dimensions of the object
cm 40 x 32
- L'età normanna e sueva in Sicilia / Assemblea Regionale Siciliana. - Palazzo dei Normanni, Palermo, 1994, p.146-147.
- Italie des Normands, Normandie des Plantagenêts, Musée de Normandie, Caen, n° 40.
Palermo, Galleria Regionale della Sicilia, Palazzo Abatellis, Palermo
Photography : G. Cappellani