Caen (Calvados), Abbey church of the Holy Trinity (Abbaye-aux-Dames)


Last third of the 11th century 

This half column capital originates from the church of the Trinité, Abbaye-aux-Dames, in Caen (Calvados). It was carved in limestone during the last third of the 11th century.
Two masks in relief occupy each face of the corbel, covered in small palms in multiple lobes. One of the masks acts as a console. Both have globulous eyes, and the protruding and the cheeks well executed.
A capital which is probably earlier, from the crypt of Bayeux cathedral, is clearly linked to this one which, on the other had has stiffer foliage and a decoration which is not divided into horizontal registers. The masks from the Trinité church suggest greater sculptural assurance, and a more refined finish.

Dimensions of the object
H. 0.34 m ; l.  0.44 m ; Prof.  0.40 m 

- Baylé M, La Trinité de Caen, sa place dans l'histoire de l'architecture et du décor, Arts et Métiers Graphiques, Paris, 1992.
- Loisel C, Inventaire de la collection lapidaire romane réunie par la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie, Mémoire de maîtrise, Université de Caen, 1972

- Thybert H, Inventaire du lapidaire roman du Musée de Normandie, Association Caen-Archéologie, 1992

Musée de Normandie, Caen, Calvados
DSAN 83 1218 003, Dépôt de la Société des Antiquaires de Normandie