Caen (Calvados), church of St Gilles
It was in a deed of gift by Duke William to the Abbey of the Trinité in 1082 that the church of Saint-Gilles is mentioned for the first time. However the excavations carried out at the end of the 80's have shown that this church was built on the foundations of an older building, which was probably built during the first half of the 10th century. It was during the bombardments of 1944 that the church of Saint-Gilles disappeared almost entirely with the exception of three side chapels of the gothic period which can still be seen today. The various Romanesque lapidary fragments were discovered sparsely distributed over the site.
Caen (Calvados), church of St Gilles : the archaeological finds