Domesday Book (1086) records a church at Garton and in 1121 it was granted by Walter L'Espec, Lord of Helmsley Castle, to Kirkham Abbey. Construction of the present church began in c. 1132 and surviving Norman work includes the south wall of the nave and the very substantial west tower which affords views over a considerable distance. The tower has a west door with zig-zag decoration and scalloped capitals; above it is a worn image of St Michael.
Pevsner, D. and Neave, D., 1995. The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding (London, Penguin), 433-5